Sounds counter intuitive doesn't it? If I walk more then my times will be faster?
It puzzled me that my third run of the holiday was so much slower (almost half a minute on a 24 minute run) than my second.
There could be a number of rational explanations for this - different weather, more fatigue etc. etc. But the other difference in the runs was that in my second run, I walked about 25% of the way back to my starting point, whereas in the third run, I decided I was going to run the whole distance.
On my second run, I used the telegraph poles to ration my walking - so I guess it turned into a bit of an interval or fartlek session. I walked to one pole, jogged to the next one, and then ran through the next two before walking again.
I'm not yet convinced that run-walk is necessarily quicker for me (you certainly don't see many people doing it at the Wimbledon Common Time Trial), but this article from Jeff Galloway on Run-Walk seems to suggest it would be quicker by delaying fatigue. It may even be a way of reducing soreness or injury after the run.
So I've got a choice to make today - run-walk, or just run?
Anyone else had experiences of this? What do you think is quicker?
Friday, 17 April 2009
Walking to faster running times
If you liked this post, then please subscribe to The Fat Runner blog, or follow The Fat Runner's tweets on twitter.
Posted by
The Fat Runner
at
09:05
Labels: fartlek, injury, plantar fasciitis, running, wimbledon common tt
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Interesting thought - what I've read seems to suggest that it's only beginners and less fit people who will run quicker with run-walk-run. Just my 2c.
Post a Comment